The Look: Chic, Modern and Effortless “Make-Under”
After feeling inspired by the latest “make-under” trend sweeping the catwalk and the red carpet, Giuliana Rancic decided it was time to make a change for Hollywood’s biggest night of the year. After being blonde for about 6 months, Giuliana decided to take it into her own hands, coloring her own hair with Vidal Sassoon Salonist Permanent At-Home Colour.
“Award Season is the busiest time of the year for me and I am constantly running around, so I needed a fresh, updated look that I also felt comfortable doing myself and maintaining.” Giuliana explained, “I’m a natural brunette, so by trading in my blonde hair, I didn’t have to worry about an obvious root line. Vidal Sassoon approached me to see if I wanted to try their new color kit, Salonist. To be honest, I was a bit nervous to try at-home color again because when I’ve colored my hair in the past, it’s always turned out dull and flat. However, with Salonist, I treated my roots & lengths separately, similar to what the pros do, so I felt like I was in good hands.” Giuliana explained that “one of my favorite things in the world is to experiment with hair color. I love switching my color every six months to give myself a fresh new look, so being able to make that switch myself but still get great results is huge!”
Giuliana Rancic colored her hair using Vidal Sassoon Salonist in Medium Gold Brown, transforming her hair color into a natural-looking, rich golden brown. This effortless yet rich brunette shade paired nicely with her red lipstick and Mireille Dagher dress, giving her a classic Hollywood glam look for the Oscars. Giuliana’s red dress and red lipstick made her dimensional hair color pop, and drew all eyes on her new hair look.
1. Prep: Mix Vidal Sassoon Salonist Colour Activating Lotion and Rich Colour Cream into the bowl using the expert brush until smooth and blended.
2. Apply Colour Cream to Roots: Be sure to identify the line on the bottom of the bowl, separating it into sections of ¾ and ¼. Using ¾ of the mix, brush the formula on the roots until covered, beginning with the center part and working your way around the hairline. Wait 20 minutes for the formula to set-in on the roots and hairline.
3. Transform Formula with Serum: Next, add the Vidal Sassoon Salonist Serum to the remaining ¼ of the formula, and mix contents together with the brush until smooth.
4. Apply Glaze to Lengths: Smooth it through the lengths of your hair as done in salons. Be sure to massage all of the hair including the roots to ensure optimal coverage. Wait 10 minutes for the formula to set-in, and then rinse out the colorant and shampoo hair.
5. Protect and Rinse: To finish, use the Vidal Sassoon Salonist Colour Preserving Conditioner and leave it on for 2 minutes. Continue to rinse and style as usual!
Products Used: Vidal Sassoon Salonist Permanent At-Home Colour in Medium Gold Brown – $13.99, VidalSassoon.com