Emmys 2013: Christina Hendricks
One of the prettiest hairstyles of the night went to Christina Hendricks. The va-va-voom actress wowed with tresses by Vidal Sassoon, and celebrity hairstylist Gregory Russell shares with Solessence readers how he did the deed with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series:
Get the look:
The Look: 1930s-Inspired with Modern Texture
Gregory and Christina were inspired by several images of 1930s looks as well as Bottega Veneta’s F/W 13 runway styles. Gregory wanted to give Christina’s 1930s look a modern feel, so he created a style with a lot of texture. To finish the look, Christina wore a Marianne Schwartz diamond barrette which was clipped in the bang area, giving her hair a luxurious feel. Her 1930s hairstyle was complemented by a black lace Christian Siriano gown.
Here’s how Gregory created Christina’s look:
- First prep damp hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse, applying at the roots and length for touchable volume.
- Rough blow dry hair until it’s 90% dry. Use a Mason Pearson brush and blow out hair in sections to create texture and a bouncy wave. Once hair is dry, create a deep side part.
- Then take a section of the hair and spray it with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Waves Hairspray to give hair definition and minimize frizz. Curl the section with a ½ inch curling iron for 15 seconds and then pin to let it cool. Curl hair with a ½ inch wand iron for a bouncy, looser wave and a ½ inch marcel iron for a smoother wave, alternating irons to create a textured, modern look.
- Let pinned hair cool for 15-20 minutes to create a tight wave and then backcomb unpinned hair around the nape to give hair more volume and create a good shape. Apply Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Color Gloss Crème around the part to show definition.
- Lastly, finish style with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray to lock your look in place.